Takeda Delivers Strong First Quarter FY2022 Results; On Track Towards Full-Year Management Guidance
Q1 FY2022 Results Demonstrate a Strong Start to the Year with Core Revenue Growth at Constant Exchange Rate (CER) of +8.3% (Reported Revenue +2.4%)
Growth and Launch Products Delivering Revenue Growth of +26% at CER
Core Operating Profit Growth of +17% at CER, Core Operating Profit Margin 32.8%
Reported Revenue and Operating Profit Growth Affected by One-time Gain Booked in Q1 of Prior Year from Sale of Diabetes Portfolio in Japan
Continued Resilience in Challenging Macro Environment
OSAKA, JAPAN--(Business Wire / Korea Newswire) July 29, 2022 -- Takeda (TOKYO:4502/NYSE:TAK) today announced strong financial results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2022 (period ended June 30, 2022) and is on track to meet its full-year management guidance.
The gain on the sale of Takeda’s Japan diabetes portfolio in the first quarter of the previous fiscal year has impacted reported financial results on a year-over-year basis, as expected. The sale contributed a one-off 133 billion yen to revenue and 131.4 billion yen to operating profit in Q1 FY2021. This impact is excluded from core financial results; the Company delivered +8.3% core revenue growth and +17% core operating profit growth at CER this quarter, with a core operating profit margin of 32.8%.
Takeda chief financial officer, Costa Saroukos, commented: “Takeda has delivered strong first quarter performance with Growth and Launch Products continuing to drive robust core revenue growth. Our results reflect continued momentum and solid commercial execution across key business areas.”
“First quarter results also reflect the impact of the last of our major non-core divestitures in the prior year. The sale of the Japan diabetes portfolio in FY2021 is the main factor behind the year-over-year decline in reported operating profit and is the only difference between reported and core revenue growth in our Q1 FY2022 results.”
“Foreign exchange has been a tailwind for our performance in the first quarter, while our portfolio momentum and prudent cost management have allowed us to improve our core operating profit margin despite rising inflation and other emerging macro challenges. We also remain resilient amid the outlook for increasing interest rates as approx. 98% of our debt is now secured at fixed interest rates averaging approx. 2%.”
Results for Q1 FY2022 Ended June 30, 2022
(To view the table, please visit https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220727005581/en/)
COMMERCIAL UPDATES ACROSS FIVE KEY BUSINESS AREAS
Growth in key business areas in Q1 FY2022 was driven mainly by Growth & Launch Products, which delivered revenue of 363.6 billion yen and +26% growth at CER.
· Gastroenterology (GI), with 270.4 billion yen in reported revenue, grew +15% on a CER basis driven by gut-selective ENTYVIO® and TAKECAB®/VOCINTI®. The strong launch in China of VOCINTI was a key contributor to growth. Global revenue for ENTYVIO is forecast to grow +20% on a CER basis in FY2022.
· Rare Diseases, with 181.6 billion yen in reported revenue, grew +7% on a CER basis driven by continued strong performance of TAKHZYRO® and promising LIVTENCITY™ sales following a U.S. launch in December 2021. Geographical expansion is expected to continue with additional TAKHZYRO launches and LIVTENCITY approvals planned for FY2022.
· Plasma-Derived Therapies (PDT) Immunology, with 141.9 billion yen in reported revenue, delivered outstanding growth of +18% on a CER basis driven by continued strong global demand for Immunoglobulin and higher sales of Albumin. Our global plasma donation footprint grew to 212 centers as of June 30, 2022. With plans for >25 centers to be opened this fiscal year, the Company is targeting to increase plasma collection volume by 10-20% in FY2022 compared to FY2021.
· Oncology, with 117.5 billion yen in reported revenue, declined -10% on a CER basis mainly due to the impact of generic competition to VELCADE®. ALUNBRIG® delivered growth of +34.7% on a CER basis. EXKIVITY® market data showed early signs of commercial success with a U.S. launch in September 2021 and global expansion continues with approvals in UK, Switzerland, Australia and South Korea. Additional approval decisions are expected in FY2022, including in China. Following discussions with the EMA, Takeda has decided to withdraw the EU Marketing Authorization Application (MAA) for EXKIVITY in second-line treatment of EGFR Exon20 insertion+ non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
· Neuroscience, with 142.4 billion yen in reported revenue, grew +11% on a CER basis signaling a continued rebound from COVID-19. TRINTELLIX grew +5.2% at CER driven by continued market share gains, notably in Japan. We expect VYVANSE® growth in FY2022 to be driven by the expanding adult market in the U.S.
In Q1 FY2022, Takeda further demonstrated pipeline momentum and its ability to bring new therapies to patients. Pipeline updates in Q1 FY2022 include:
· TAK-003, Takeda’s dengue vaccine candidate, prevented 84% of hospitalized dengue cases and 61% of symptomatic dengue cases with no important safety risks identified in the overall population, including both seropositive and seronegative individuals through 54 months. These data from the Phase 3 TIDES trial were presented at the 8th Northern European Conference on Travel Medicine (NECTM8). TAK-003 is currently undergoing regulatory review in the European Union and select dengue-endemic countries, with decisions expected in FY2022.
Additional information related to this announcement is available here. https://bit.ly/3OIdkpb
· The New England Journal of Medicine published results from a Phase 2 clinical study of investigational fazirsiran (TAK-999/ARO-AAT) for the treatment of liver disease associated with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD). Co-developed with Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals, fazirsiran was granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation in July 2021 and Orphan Drug Designation in February 2018 by the U.S. FDA for the treatment of AATD.
Additional information related to this announcement is available here. https://bit.ly/3PCeAeJ
· ADCETRIS® Phase 3 data was presented at the 59th American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting, demonstrating statistically significant improvement in overall survival in adult patients with previously untreated Stage III or IV classical Hodgkin Lymphoma.
Additional information related to this announcement is available here. https://bit.ly/3oEjU5s
· Takeda and Moderna announced plans to transfer marketing authorization for Spikevax™ COVID-19 vaccine in Japan to Moderna.
Additional information related to this announcement is available here. https://bit.ly/3zE5okm
· TAKHZYRO demonstrated positive results in the prevention of hereditary angioedema (HAE) attacks in patients 2 to <12 years of age. These results, which were consistent with earlier studies in adult and adolescent patients, were presented at the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) Hybrid Congress 2022. There are currently no long-term prophylactic treatments approved for HAE patients younger than 6 years and global regulatory filings are scheduled to begin in FY2022.
Additional information related to this announcement is available here. https://bit.ly/3vmSip2
· HYQVIA® met its primary endpoint in a pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial evaluating its efficacy and safety as a maintenance therapy for Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy (CIDP). Preparations are now underway for regulatory filings in the U.S. and EU.
Additional information related to this announcement is available here. https://bit.ly/3oJFNjD
· In June 2022, Takeda signed a licensing agreement with Momenta Pharmaceuticals, Inc., which was acquired by Johnson & Johnson, for an investigational hypersialylated immunoglobulin (HsIG) candidate. HsIG has the potential to have similar efficacy as IGs but at a lower dose due to its increased potency. If proven safe and effective, it has the potential to help address patient needs for significantly lower administration volume with better tolerability and convenience, while simultaneously helping to address existing supply constraints.
On track towards full-year FY2022 guidance (Unchanged from May 2022)
(To view the table, please visit https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220727005581/en/)
Company outlook for FY2022 reflects management’s expectations for continued business momentum across Takeda’s five key business areas, discipline in operating expenses, and FX favorability.
For more details on Takeda’s Q1 FY2022 results and other financial information including key assumptions in FY2022 forecast and management guidance, please visit: https://www.takeda.com/investors/financial-results/.
Takeda is a global, values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical leader headquartered in Japan, committed to discover and deliver life-transforming treatments, guided by our commitment to patients, our people and the planet. Takeda focuses its R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas: Oncology, Rare Genetic and Hematology, Neuroscience, and Gastroenterology (GI). We also make targeted R&D investments in Plasma-Derived Therapies and Vaccines. We are focusing on developing highly innovative medicines that contribute to making a difference in people’s lives by advancing the frontier of new treatment options and leveraging our enhanced collaborative R&D engine and capabilities to create a robust, modality-diverse pipeline. Our employees are committed to improving quality of life for patients and to working with our partners in health care in approximately 80 countries and regions. For more information, visit https://www.takeda.com.
For the purposes of this notice, “press release” means this document, any oral presentation, any question and answer session and any written or oral material discussed or distributed by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (“Takeda”) regarding this press release. This press release (including any oral briefing and any question-and-answer in connection with it) is not intended to, and does not constitute, represent or form part of any offer, invitation or solicitation of any offer to purchase, otherwise acquire, subscribe for, exchange, sell or otherwise dispose of, any securities or the solicitation of any vote or approval in any jurisdiction. No shares or other securities are being offered to the public by means of this press release. No offering of securities shall be made in the United States except pursuant to registration under the U.S. Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or an exemption therefrom. This press release is being given (together with any further information which may be provided to the recipient) on the condition that it is for use by the recipient for information purposes only (and not for the evaluation of any investment, acquisition, disposal or any other transaction). Any failure to comply with these restrictions may constitute a violation of applicable securities laws.
The companies in which Takeda directly and indirectly owns investments are separate entities. In this press release, “Takeda” is sometimes used for convenience where references are made to Takeda and its subsidiaries in general. Likewise, the words “we”, “us” and “our” are also used to refer to subsidiaries in general or to those who work for them. These expressions are also used where no useful purpose is served by identifying the particular company or companies.
The product names appearing in this document are trademarks or registered trademarks owned by Takeda, or their respective owners.
This press release and any materials distributed in connection with this press release may contain forward-looking statements, beliefs or opinions regarding Takeda’s future business, future position and results of operations, including estimates, forecasts, targets and plans for Takeda. Without limitation, forward-looking statements often include words such as “targets”, “plans”, “believes”, “hopes”, “continues”, “expects”, “aims”, “intends”, “ensures”, “will”, “may”, “should”, “would”, “could”, “anticipates”, “estimates”, “projects” or similar expressions or the negative thereof. These forward-looking statements are based on assumptions about many important factors, including the following, which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements: the economic circumstances surrounding Takeda’s global business, including general economic conditions in Japan and the United States; competitive pressures and developments; changes to applicable laws and regulations, including global health care reforms; challenges inherent in new product development, including uncertainty of clinical success and decisions of regulatory authorities and the timing thereof; uncertainty of commercial success for new and existing products; manufacturing difficulties or delays; fluctuations in interest and currency exchange rates; claims or concerns regarding the safety or efficacy of marketed products or product candidates; the impact of health crises, like the novel coronavirus pandemic, on Takeda and its customers and suppliers, including foreign governments in countries in which Takeda operates, or on other facets of its business; the timing and impact of post-merger integration efforts with acquired companies; the ability to divest assets that are not core to Takeda’s operations and the timing of any such divestment(s); the extent to which our internal energy conservation measures and future advancements in renewable energy or low carbon energy technology will enable us to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions; and other factors identified in Takeda’s most recent Annual Report on Form 20-F and Takeda’s other reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, available on Takeda’s website at: https://www.takeda.com/investors/sec-filings/ or at www.sec.gov. Takeda does not undertake to update any of the forward-looking statements contained in this report or any other forward-looking statements it may make, except as required by law or stock exchange rule. Past performance is not an indicator of future results and the results or statements of Takeda in this report may not be indicative of, and are not an estimate, forecast, guarantee or projection of Takeda’s future results.
Financial information and Certain Non-IFRS Financial Measures
Takeda’s financial statements are prepared in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”).
This press release and materials distributed in connection with this press release include certain financial measures not presented in accordance with IFRS, such as Core Revenue, Core Operating Profit, Core Net Profit, Core EPS, Constant Exchange Rate (“CER”) change, Net Debt, EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Free Cash Flow. Takeda’s management evaluates results and makes operating and investment decisions using both IFRS and non-IFRS measures included in this presentation. These non-IFRS measures exclude certain income, cost and cash flow items which are included in, or are calculated differently from, the most closely comparable measures presented in accordance with IFRS. By including these non-IFRS measures, management intends to provide investors with additional information to further analyze Takeda’s performance and core results, including when controlling for the effect of fluctuations in exchange rates. Takeda’s non-IFRS measures are not prepared in accordance with IFRS and such non-IFRS measures should be considered a supplement to, and not a substitute for, measures prepared in accordance with IFRS (which we sometimes refer to as “reported” measures). Investors are encouraged to review the definitions and reconciliations of non-IFRS financial measures to their most directly comparable IFRS measures, which are in the financial appendix at the end of Takeda's Q1 FY2022 investor presentation (available at takeda.com/investors/financial-results).
This press release contains information about products that may not be available in all countries, or may be available under different trademarks, for different indications, in different dosages, or in different strengths. Nothing contained herein should be considered a solicitation, promotion or advertisement for any prescription drugs including the ones under development.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220727005581/en/
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
+81 (0) 3-3278-2543
U.S. and International
+1 (772) 559-4924
+81 (0) 3-3278-2325
This is a news release distributed by Korea Newswire on behalf of this company.