NOC: Norway and Oslo Enter the Race for the Winter Games in 2022
Today, the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports and the City of Oslo submitted the application to the IOC to host 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.
November 15, 2013 16:00 KST
OSLO, NORWAY--(Business Wire / Korea Newswire) November 15, 2013 -- OSLO, Norway--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Oslo and the Lillehammer - region, with it`s proven Olympic heritage, guarantee to offer high-profile, modern Olympic and Paralympic games with enthusiasm and passion. We will offer a compact two village Olympic concept.
- I am very pleased with the progress in our Olympic project. With this application, the Municipality of Oslo officially submits its interest to be host city for the 2022 Winter Games. I firmly believe that the application from Norway and Oslo will be a very strong contender in the tough international competition to host these Games, says the Governing Mayor of Oslo, Stian Berger Røsland.
A strong application
- The Olympic and Paralympic Games are first and foremost about athletes - athletes from around the world who assemble for competitions and companionship. We believe that Norway, Norwegian sports and Oslo can respond to the challenges that face the Olympic movement and international sports. Key aspects in our concept are based on the universal values of tolerance, respect and human dignity, says the NOC President Børre Rognlien.
- The Games will inspire, support the sense of community and the sense of belonging. They will present unique opportunities to showcase Norway as an attractive place to live, work, study, invest, and visit, says “Olympic” Vice Mayor of Oslo, Hallstein Bjercke, who is also Vice Mayor for the Department of Cultural Affairs and Business Development. - We have an exciting and solid concept. Winter sports are part of the Norwegian DNA. We will generously share this passion with the rest of the world in 2022, says Bjercke.
- The Norwegian Olympic Committee, the City of Oslo and the Lillehammer-region will work together to present the very best concept to the IOC, says the NOC President. He emphasises that the application has strong support at home, both from Norwegian sports and the Oslo City Council. In addition, and not least important, it has received overwhelming support in the referendum in Oslo 8 and 9 September, states Rognlien.
We want to win!
- The NOC and the Municipality of Oslo, together with our partners in the Lillehammer-region, will involve the world in what will be another amazing Olympic and Paralympic experience in Norway. In 2022 it will be 70 years since the Olympic Flame was lit in Oslo and 28 years since the Lillehammer Games.
- Norwegian Olympic Committee: Marit Bjørgen Receives the “FAIR PLAY Mecenate” for 2014
- Norwegian NOC: Olympic Games in Norway Shall Be Based on Human Rights.
- Oslo´s Application for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games